The words “I’m depressed” became very common among many people as an answer to the question about their wellbeing, including the intention for only describing a bad mood or when something goes wrong. Every person feels depressed every once in a while, but feeling of depression and depression illness are two different situations that should be distinguished.
What is the definition of depression?
With science and technology progression, new medications came into the market to treat this difficult problem, which seems to be accelerated by every passing second. Medications have an important role in certain depression cases.
Depression isn’t an issue that needs to be belittled. Anyone who experienced it can testify how much suffers it involves. Mental suffering can be as worse as any other terrible illness. Moreover, an illness which harms the soul can easily affect the patient’s physical condition.
The connection between the physical and mental condition is internalized by many, and every once in a while we hear how different mental conditions can cause serious diseases, even cancer and death.
Definition and diagnosis
Depression is a continuous mental disorder that appears at any age and it is characterized by bad mood, decreased willingness to be active and productive, and also reduction in energy and vitality, social interest and the ability to enjoy life.
Depression is the most common disease among adults, there are several disease levels, starting from light situation to “Major depression”, characterized by suicidal thoughts and high risk of self-damaging. “Major depression” exists in about 10-20 percent out of world population, twice as much amidst women in comparison to men. This acute illness requires a professional intervention.
It appears that women have a greater tendency to become ill with depression, and to sink into worries and thought following stress and unease conditions. Furthermore, women sometimes become melancholy due to other people’s distress.
Depression is defined according to few parameters. In order to determine a depression there should be at least five parameters, in period of minimum 2-4 weeks.
The difference between feeling depressed and the illness itself is the duration of the depression, whether the person has an ability to extricate oneself out of the depression, and if situation deteriorates until inability to function and to manage a proper life.
The parameters are very extreme:
- Insomnia or oversleeping.
- Extra physical activity or lack of activity.
- Lack of appetite and loss of weight or overeating and gaining weight.
- Decreased ability in some skills, such as: concentration, thought process, decision making.
- Bad mood and nervousness.
- Feeling useless, guilt feelings, self- whipping.
- Decreased sexual desires
- Restlessness, passivity and fatigued.
- Losing interest in life and thoughts of death.
Symptoms of Depression
Cognitive symptoms of depression
Difficulty in paying attention and making decisions, problems with concentrating, thinking, and processing information.
Functional symptoms of depression
Appearance is neglected, looking depressed, unwillingness to do ordinary tasks like going to work, taking care of the children, maintaining the house, lack of strength, and decreased sexual functioning.
Emotional symptoms of depression
Deep nervousness, pessimism, seeing things darkly, loneliness, anger, tension, despair, hopelessness, disinterest, hatred, self criticism and failure, low self-esteem, anxiety, lack of self belief, feeling guilty.
Physiological symptoms of depression
Pain in chest area, heavy breathing, fatigue, headaches, backaches. Sleep disruptions and changes in nutrition.
Causes of Depression
- Depression as an expression to psychological factors, self-aggression due to childhood rejection, abuse, very high expectations, pressure, physical and mental violence in childhood, and more.
- Depression as a result to severe event, such as: losing a person or an object, loss of status and reputation, a job, divorce, disability or acute disease, low self esteem, and more.
- Depression as a result of chemical imbalance in the brain, imbalance in the nerve system, hormonal changes like pregnancy, and more.
- Depression as a way of manipulating and controlling others.
- Depression due to physical causes like: diseases, bad nutrition, irregular activity of the thyroid gland, birth, lack of nutritive components, exaggerated alcohol consumption, and more.
A person who suffers from depression doesn’t see much ahead, suffer is so terrible that a person only think of the present moment. And in the present moment the only thing who matters is that the depression would disappear, that life will be back on track, and that suffering will end quickly.
A doctor should be consulted with; a naturopathy treatment is advised along with depression contradictory medications. Naturopathy treatment can increase medication effectiveness, prevent side effects, help the body to keep the fragile balance and even prevent the use of high dosage of medications.
It is certainly recommended to allow the body to treat the problem naturally. There is so much to do, so many ways to tune the body back in balance and heal it. Depression is only a symptom, it is a sign that something went out of balance, and it is the way that the body tells us that it deals with something.