mental health matters was founded in 1996 and has grown into one of the leading peer managed mental health websites. With more than 1,700 articles authored by over 360 different Mental Health Providers, Caregivers, Family Members, and Peers / Consumers.
Mental Health Matters pays our authors a small fee via PayPal on either the 15th or at the end of the month in which an article is published. for unique and original content about mental health and related subjects. We prefer a word count between 1000 – 1500 but understand that the word count can vary, we do however ask for prior approval before going beyond 1700 words so we can prepare our budget accordingly. The minimum acceptable word count for Mental Health Matters is 500.
Pay Rates Per Article
While some exceptions are made on rare occasions, our standard rates for authors are as follows. These rates hold as long as the authors meet the assigned deadlines and expected quality.
- Articles 1 – 5: $0.015 per word
- Articles 6 – 10: $0.02 per word
- Articles 11 – 15: $0.025 per word
- Articles 16 – 25: $0.030 per word
- Articles 26 – 40: $0.035 per word
- Articles 41+ : $0.04 per word
Mental Health Matters reserves the right to sever any and all agreements with an author at any time should the author fail to meet agreed deadlines or expected quality. If Mental Health Matters chooses to sever the agreement with an an author, any unpaid articles in the queue meeting our quality standards will remain on the schedule and payment will be issued as scheduled after publishing. Any content not meeting out quality standards will be deleted and will not be published on or paid for by Mental Health Matters.
Should an author choose to sever the agreement with Mental Health Matters, they can choose to leave the content in submission or not. if the content meets our quality standards it will be put on the schedule and paid for as scheduled after publishing. Content not meeting our quality standards will be deleted and will not be published on or paid for by Mental Health Matters.
Publishing Date and Payment
- Articles published the last 3 days of the month are paid on the 15th of the next month.
- Articles published the after the 12th of the month are paid at the end of the month.
If you wish to become an author for Mental Health Matters, please fill out the form below and submit a brief pitch about the article or series you would like to write. Please note any connection you have to mental health issues. Any disclosures made will be kept confidential unless you choose to disclose them. Our editor will contact you as quickly as possible with one of four distinct responses:
- To confirm interest in your pitch as submitted and discuss pay.
- To make suggested changes regarding the pitch and to discuss pay.
- To request samples of your work.
- To politely decline due to budgetary reasons or a full editorial calendar.