1. Refrain From Isolating Yourself From People
A good way to defeat depression is to avoid isolating yourself from others. Isolation can be good, but like anything, too much of it can also bad for you. When you isolate yourself from people, you tend to start feeling this emptiness within you and your mind starts to wonder about these things that make you depressed. This, in turn, can make you even more depressed than you already were. In contrast to isolation, surrounding yourself with people can be better than not doing so. It is often good to be with friends and family during times of despair because you can have fun with them & it’ll allow you to take your mind off of what’s stressing you out. A different benefit of being with friends or family is that you can also talk to them about what you’re stressing about & they can provide multiple solutions that can help you.
You can do a ton of things with friends and family that’ll help take your mind off of the things that make you depressed. Things you can do but are not limited to are:
- Movie Theaters
- Playing Sports
- Video Games
2. Start Searching For New Hobbies To Defeat Depression
It’s good to find new hobbies, it’s like a breath of fresh air, especially if you’re trying to defeat depression. When you find new hobbies & engage in them, you take your mind off of all the stressful things around you. There are things you can do that actually have been proven to relieve stress. Here are some ways you can start to make an effort to get rid of your depression:
- Yoga – According to Harvard mental health studies, taking Yoga classes helps with depression. They have a study that was done that shows a group of people who were considering themselves to be under high distress. They took some classes & within 90 days all of their depression levels dropped significantly. This is an option that one should consider, there are also tons of other great benefits. Yoga helps to clear your mind & stay positive.
- Writing – Writing can be extremely helpful and therapeutic. It is a way to cope with the negative things around you that may be causing your depression. When you write down your thoughts, you can assess them & understand your thoughts more clearly. It is also easier to find solutions to solving these problems since you have the option to thoroughly analyze them. It’s always good to jot your thoughts down and let them out, you don’t want to hold them in forever as holding things in can become very detrimental to your mental health.
- Learn to Laugh – Laughing is very important and is a very crucial ingredient when trying to defeat depression. I mean think about it, no matter how mad or sad one can be, laughing at something can change your mood entirely. This is because the brain uses chemicals like endorphin & dopamine that stops pain and gives a temporary relief from depression by replacing that terrible feeling with what we call exhilaration or happiness.
- Start Reading More – There are so many ways that reading helps depression. This method helps because there are so many different things in this world to read in general with tons of relatable content. In books you can find tons of scenarios similar to what you are experiencing in your life; chances are there might be solutions in that book that can help you as well.
- Exercise – Everyone knows that exercise helps your body physically, but what does it do to you mentally? Much like laughter, exercise allows you to release endorphin. Working out also allows you to increase your strength, socialize with people, and can help prevent diseases. This in itself is a confidence booster & raising your confidence will allow you to feel more comfortable. Raising your confidence will also help you rid of your depression easier. It definitely can be a huge factor which is why I suggest you start exercising.
3. Did You Know That Vitamins Help Depression?
I encourage everyone to take all of their vitamins, they’re so important to your health overall. Vitamins help do a lot for your body, but there’s a lot of people out there that didn’t know vitamins can help with depression. Here’s what vitamins can help you:
- B-Complex – B Vitamins has a huge effect on making chemicals that can influence moods and other functions in your body. These vitamins play a major role in helping with depression because it works directly with your nervous system. B Vitamins generate neurotransmitters that are accountable for prolonging a good mood. If you want to defeat depression, taking vitamins will help you to get one step ahead.
- Fish Oil – Fish Oil contains multiple omega 3 fatty acids. But the one acid that is most important for depression is called DHA or Docosahexaenoic acid. DHA is known to help human beings by enhancing the mental development of the brain. DHA is a vital structural constituent of the cerebral cortex. The cerebral cortex is responsible for memory, language, imagination, emotion, and awareness.
- Vitamin D – Studies show a connection between lack of Vitamin D and depression. Vitamin D receptors have been found in multiple parts of the brain. These receptors are in the same area where depression is developed. No one is one hundred percent sure how Vitamin D works in the brain entirely but it’s worth mentioning.
4. Try To Seek Professional Help
Professionals know what they’re talking about when it comes to this stuff. Never be afraid to seek help, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting help. You can explain exactly how you feel to a counselor & they can diagnose you. You cannot diagnose yourself, you are not a professional. Don’t be that person who sits on google for hours trying to diagnose themselves. Counselors can advise you and recommend medicine that will make you feel much better. Professional therapist use a technique called psychotherapy; A good therapist can help you to cope with your feelings & can advise you on how to deal with depression.
5. Challenge Your Negative Thoughts
When you have a negative thought going through your mind, try your best to ignore it or counter it by thinking about something positive. Negative thoughts can be a pain, they can trigger your depression this is why it’s best to come up with strategies to avoid them. The goal is to avoid thinking negative as much as possible so that you don’t trigger your depression. There are also other things you can do to avoid them, you can learn to meditate efficiently, meditation can train your mind & guide you to keeping positive thoughts for the majority of the time. These methods are one of the best ways to defeat depression & will put you closer to your goal.