- suicide is the 8th leading cause of death in the United States, claiming about 30,000 lives a year.
- Ninety percent of persons who commit suicide have depression or another diagnosable mental or substance abuse disorder.
- Every day, 14 young people between the ages of 15 and 24 commit suicide; that’s approximately 1 every 100 minutes.
- Suicide attempts are among the leading causes of hospital admissions in persons under 35.
- Men are more than four times as likely as women to commit suicide. However, women attempt suicide about twice as often as men do.
- The highest suicide rates in the U.S. are found in white men over the age of 85.
Suicide can be prevented.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline